Before we jump into our top eight tips, know this; to get rid of lower belly fat, you'll need to lose overall body fat.
There's no magic pill.
There's no such thing as "spot treating".
It won't happen overnight.
You'll need to put in the work.
Get disciplined, eat right, train hard, and get after it.
TIPS TO GET RID OF LOWER BELLY FAT
- Utilize a Caloric Deficit
- Lift Heavy
- Prioritize Protein
- Stay Hydrated
- Use Supplements to Fill Diet Gaps
- Cut Out Process and Refined Carbs
- Moderate Sugar and Alcohol Intake
- Stay Consistent. Stay Disciplined
TIP 1 - UTILIZE A CALORIC DEFICIT
If your goal is to lose belly fat, you'll need to decrease your total body fat.
To decrease total body fat, you'll need to burn more calories than you're taking in - commonly referred to as a caloric deficit.
Start by cutting your total caloric intake by 500 and increase your cut once you plateau until you reach your goal.
Tip: Caloric Deficit + Resistance Training = Fat Loss
TIP 2 - LIFT HEAVY WITH COMPOUND MOVEMENTS
Resistance training burns more calories than cardio alone, especially compound exercises.
Compound movements use multiple muscles groups simultaneously to perform a single movement.
Movements like squats, deadlifts, bench press, and pull-ups are all examples of compound movements.
By using several muscle groups for one movement, you'll be burning more calories than you would with an isolated exercise such as a bicep curl.
Incorporate compound movements into your training to burn calories, increase lean muscle, and decrease total body fat.
TIP 3 - PRIORITIZE PROTEIN INTAKE TO BUILD MUSCLE AND LOSE BELLY FAT
Diets high in protein have shown to be beneficial for individuals looking to lose weight.
Here's how protein can help you lose weight in order to get rid of lower belly fat.
- Protein fuels and supports muscles.
- Protein increases lean muscle tissue.
- Protein keeps you fuller - longer and reduces cravings.
- Protein has a higher thermic effect than fat and carb sources, which increases the number of calories burned.
- Protein reduces levels of ghrelin, a hunger hormone.
Prioritize your protein intake by including lean meats, fish, eggs, dairy, and protein supplements in your diet.
TIP 4 - STAY HYDRATED
"Drink more water" you hear it all the time, but staying hydrated can play a crucial role in weight loss.
Drinking water helps your body with its everyday processes including:
- Muscle Functioning
- Cognitive Functioning
- Digestion and Metabolism
...to name a few.
Without water, your body would not be able to function properly in order to lose fat.
Also, swapping that coke for a glass of ice-cold water is smart for your health and belly fat.
One 20oz. bottle of Coke has 240 calories and 65g of sugar.
Cut the coke, drink the water, stay hydrated, and lose the belly.
TIP 5 - USE SUPPLEMENTS TO FILL DIET GAPS
We talked about prioritizing protein, but unless your consciously counting calories and meal prepping, chances are you aren't hitting your macros.
To help, you can use high-quality protein powders to hit your daily protein goals.
Tips to using protein powders:
- Make profee by adding a scoop of protein to your morning coffee.
- Add protein to your smoothies, smoothie bowls, and shakes.
- Create healthier versions of your favorite baked goods with protein powder.
TIP 6 - CUT OUT REFINED CARBS
If you're serious about cutting weight and getting rid of that stubborn belly fat, it's time to cut back on the processed bullshit.
Research indicates that replacing refined carbohydrates with unprocessed starchy carbohydrates may reduce belly fat.
One study showed that people who ate fewer refined carbs had an 83% chance of having less belly fat than individuals who consumed refined carbs on a normal basis.
Replace processed carbohydrates with;
- Whole Grains
TIP 7 - MODERATE SUGAR AND ALCOHOL INTAKE
Moderate as in, reduce your intake significantly, but don't cut it out completely.
Because we know that doesn't work.
If you love a Starbucks latte in the morning, chances are it'll have sugar in it. Make small changes by reducing the syrup pumps or having one latte a week, instead of every day.
Whether you're a nightcap guy or a girls' night girl - limit your alcohol intake and remember that you're trying to reduce belly fat and those extra glasses of whiskey or margaritas have probably contributed to that belly bulge.
Have fun, but remember your goals.
TIP 8 - CONSISTENCY AND DISCIPLINE WILL HELP YOU LOSE LOWER BELLY FAT AND LOSE WEIGHT
Is there a magic pill to losing the fat?
...you know the answer, there's not.
But consistency and discipline will get you there.
Be consistent and disciplined with your;
- Diet and Nutrition
- Positive Lifestyle Changes
And remember this...if you fall off the wagon, like indulging too much on the weekend, don't fall into a slump. Get back on the wagon and get it done.
Belly fat, easy to put on, difficult to take off.
But if you're this far into the article, you're off to the right start.
Remember these 8 no-bullshit tips to help you cut fat and lose lower belly fat;
- You must be in a caloric deficit to lose overall body fat in order to lose belly fat.
- Use compound movements and lift heavy to burn more calories than running like a hamster around a track for an hour.
- Increase your protein intake with high-quality protein to support your muscles and keep you fuller - longer.
- Drink adequate amounts of water and stay hydrated to keep your body functioning at optimal levels in order to burn calories.
- Supplements and high-quality protein powders can help fill the gaps in your diet and keep you on track.
- Cut out the processed bullshit. If you're serious about losing the fat, stop eating processed carbs and replace them with whole foods instead.
- Limit your sugar and alcohol intake, but live your life.
- Consistency and discipline will be your greatest allies. Befriend them and get rid of the belly bulge.
Now, it's time to put in the work.